One of the things I am really liking about the new version of WordPress, version 3.5, is the additional capability of Photo (or Media) Galleries. In the past, photo gallery creation was very limited.
On past WordPress versions, when you set up a photo gallery to show on your site, every image that you uploaded to go with that post was included in the photo gallery, whether you wanted it to be there or not. Now, with WordPress 3.5, you can create the photo gallery to include any images you want! Let’s say that you upload 6 images with the post that you write, but you only want 5 of those images to be in the gallery, no problem, you can select the 5 you want. Wait! There is an image that you included in a post a month or so ago, and you would really like that picture to be in the gallery for this new post. No problem, you can add it!
In the past, if you had an image on an old post, there was really no way to include that image in the photo gallery of a new post. Now, with WordPress 3.5, you can include any image that you have ever uploaded in your photo gallery for any post! It’s really great!
What is a Photo Gallery?
A photo gallery is a collection of pictures that you will show on your site. Instead of placing the images in various sizes in different parts of the article, these images will be grouped in one place, all the same size (150×150 pixels is the standard). People can click on the picture to see a larger size image, the full size.
How to create an image gallery
The process of creating your image gallery is very simple. Here is what to do.
1. If you wish to use new images that have never been uploaded to your WordPress site, upload those images by clicking on the “Add Media” button in your WordPress New Post panel.
2. After all of your images are uploaded, click again on Add Media, then click on “Create Gallery.”
3. After clicking on Create Gallery, click on each of the images that you want to include in the gallery and shown on your new post.
4. After each of the images is selected, click at the right bottom of the screen where it says “Create a New Gallery.”
5. A new page will appear giving you a few options to choose from, choose your options and then click “Insert Gallery” and your new Gallery will appear on your post!
It is all very, very easy, and will spice up the looks of your site a bit, I think. In my opinion, using image galleries is a quite classy way to insert images into your post!
Give it a try!